Sunday, November 23, 2008

back in time and the end of the world

Calle Crisologo


After sooo much stress and sooo much trouble, I am finally in Pagudpud. I arrived at Kapuluan Vista Resort a little after 9:00pm. There is something terribly wrong with how far this place is. I was so scared I’ll end up in Cagayan Valley. I have no idea where Cagayan Valley is. But I have a feeling it’s at the tip of this big island I’m in. I am almost sure that if you go further north of Cagayan Valley, you’ll be swimming in the South China Sea.

I wasn’t able to leave Vigan as scheduled because I wasn’t really able to explore the place yesterday. I didn’t want to leave without seeing everything I wanted to see.

Bantay Bell Tower

I can barely remember the places I saw this morning. I will have to look at the pictures and rest a little to remember. The time I spent in Vigan seems so far away now... well... it is so far away now, know why? Because I’m in freaking Pagudpud which is at the end of the freaking world!!!

So far, the hotel seems nice. I haven’t been to the beach yet. Although I can hear and smell the ocean. I love the fact that we can smell the ocean. It’s amazing.

Another thing I love about Pagudpud is that when you breathe here... you know that you're breathing fresh air. You know it's good for you... and you don't secretly wish you have thick nose hair to filter the pollution.
St. Paul's Cathedral on Sunday Morning

Anyway, the Calesa tour this morning... The staff from Grandpa’s Inn got a Calesa for me and the first stop is the Bantay bell tower, I wanted to hear mass at the Church but the service was said in Ilocano, I wouldn’t understand it anyway. We went to the Burgos Museum, where there were a lot of tombs with real bones in them. Why would they unearth tombs and put them on museums??? I think it's a bit disrespectful. The Burgos Museum is the ancestral home of Padre Burgos, one of the three priests executed during the Spanish regime.

The wishing well

Then we went to the Burnay (Pottery) place. I heard this trade/art was introduced by Chinese immigrants. Next was the Hidden Garden where I wished on a wishing well… let’s see if it comes true. This is also were I saw some ladies making the famous Vigan empanada. Then, we were off to Chavit’s Baluarte. Wow. That dude has a lot of money. How do you own tigers and lions, anyway? We also dropped by Crisologo Museum where I saw pictures of Crisologo when he was murdered in St. Paul’s Cathedral… while hearing mass. That was brutal.

Before heading for back to the hotel, we dropped by the market to buy new luggage for my stuff.

I forgot to mention that during my entire stay at Vigan, I only ate Bagnet, Pinakbet, poqui-poqui and Vigan longanisa. The food at CafĂ© Uno is amazing; I didn’t have to go anywhere else to eat. Even the Choco banana shake is heavenly.

After lunch, I walked back to Calle Crisologo for souvenir shopping. I figured I had more room now that I have a big suitcase. As usual I spent way too much. I swear someone else should be handling my finances. Well, at least I am done with half of my Christmas shopping.

I left the hotel and took the bus for Laoag where I’ll get on another bus to Pagudpud. Little did I know of the harsh conditions that await me. First, there were no air-conditioned busses en route to Pagudpud. When they said it takes 4 hours to get to Pagudpud from Vigan, they did not include the 1 hour to wait for a bus from Vigan, another hour to wait for the bus from Laoag to Pagudpud, another hour to wait for another bus when your bus breaks down and another hour from Pagudpud town proper to the hotel.

I wore my fake (i'm-married-so-back-off) wedding ring and later on, I learned that either guys don’t notice the ring or they just ignore it. The only one who noticed, of all people, was the konductor of the bus on the way to Pagudpud.

The bus left at 6:00pm, around 7:00pm, I reminded him that they will have to drop me off at Gaua (which I always pronounce in several different ways because I keep forgetting the right one). He nodded and said he will. 7:30pm, I was getting anxious. I asked him if it's still far, he said yes. So I listened to my iPod again. 8:00pm, I asked how far away we are and how long till we get there. He said 30minutes. The konductor would have scolded me if I were a kid. But he didn't get annoyed. Instead, 5 minutes later, he asked me how many husbands I had... which was so funny coz so far, out of the guys who hit on me on this trip, he had the funniest pick up line. It seriously made me laugh. Until I realized, he was waiting for an answer. Haha. That shut me up. I didn’t ask “are we there yet?” again.

The people from the hotel were getting worried. It was almost 9PM and I still haven’t checked in. I told them there was a delay coz the bus broke down and we had to wait for another bus to arrive. Transferring from one bus to another was an ordeal I cannot articulate.

I saw signs of Pagudpud, then Saud... then just small little towns with names I’ve never heard of and very little electricity. I was getting nervous and was wondering if there are any hotels in this place called Cagayan Valley. I was on the verge of a panic attack when the Konductor said it was my stop.

Hmmm… I swallowed hard as I lugged my trolley and looked around. No electricity. No vehicles. Nothing. Then this kind lady, who also got off the bus, asked me where I was going and helped me out.

And I am finally here… The place is nice. The pool is smaller than I perceived from the pictures in the internet, but it's ok... the bed is definitely more comfortable than the one I had in Vigan and there's a cute little flower on it. I only have 2 fluffy pillows instead of the usual six. But it was the bathroom that made everything worth it.

My bathroom with the little garden inside

There is nothing better than to take a warm shower in a bathroom with a little garden after a long and tiring day.

It’s almost 11pm. I have to sleep now. I think my right arm is about to fall off.

Location: Kapuluan Vista Resort, Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte

NP: used to be lucky : the wallflowers
"Now if losing is amusing, man get a load of me
You see me fallin' in love with a guillotine

But it used to be funny, to think you would think of me

Oooh ooh ooh oooh

Now I wish I could just take all my things and leave

But I've fallen down in the wheels of this machine

But it used to be somethin', to be nowhere with nothin'

Oooh ooh ooh oooh
So sad Everything's goin' bad
In the dreams I've had

They all laugh at what I have..."

1 comments:

Penny Lane December 4, 2008 at 5:21 AM  

These are incredible pictures! You're very talented. And the trip sounds amazing!