Sunday, January 17, 2010

sweet dreams

while i argue in my mind whether i should do some stuff for work or finish some personal errands or just sit back and read a book on this sunday night, i thought i should drop by this blog.

last year, a former colleague gave me a small notepad for christmas. there was a quote at the bottom of the paper. it said, "If one advances carefully in the direction of his dreams, & endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in uncommon hours. " ~ Henry David Thoreau

i took one piece from that notepad and kept it in my wallet since. and soon after i started looking for a job that i liked. four months later, i got a new job and wondered how the hell i got it.

lately i have been thinking a lot about work... and the monetary compensation i get from this job that i love so much. it's not that what i get isn't enough... it's just that i know i can get so much more from a job that's easier. easier but something i'm only mildly interested in. just thinking about this stresses me out.

it's like this... i love my job. i can't imagine myself doing anything else. but my salary is just enough to get me through. it's not enough to get me that beautiful house or that new car or those amazing vacations. but everyday i'm thankful that i get to do something that makes sense to me.

which brings me to an important question, would you rather have a job that'll enable you to get that beautiful house, that new car and those amazing vacations... or would you rather do something you love. everyday. a job that makes you smile. and feel blessed that you are doing what you love. yet it'll take a lot of sacrifice and time to get a nice house, a decent car and the occasional vacation.

i think the question here is, what's more important to me?

well... look at the time! it's almost 10pm... time for bed. sweet dreams.

NP : clockwatching : jason mraz
Let's live in this moment just this time, could we?
Just take one moment of our time m-m-m-m-maybe.
Let's forget we running out of time.

I'm off like an airplane,
I'm catching my second wind again.
I'm using my left brain
And I'm righting all my wrongs.
lately we're running out of time, aren't we?

3 comments:

Carrieann January 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

I think it's so much more important to do what you love. I have a great job that makes decent cash, but I never think it's enough. When I found myself unemployed (not by choice!) last month, I realized that my job held so much for me than a paycheck. It taught me to be thankful for what truly makes me happy, which wasn't what I had always imagined. Best of luck!

dojski January 31, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

Why are you asking my own questions? Ahhh, this thing is universal. ;)

It has to be both: love and financials. I do not think we can ever be FULFILLED with either only. Ideally, it should start with what you love and supposedly, the financials part will just follow.

Easier said than done, I know. ;)

mushashii February 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM  

thanks. both of you are right. :) everyday, i feel blessed and thankful that i love my job. no matter how crazy and busy and stressful it can get sometimes. i just wish i get a bit more. ah, maybe i'll get a raise... soon. hopefully. :)